Tuesday 15 August 2017

UK: Power of Attorney - The Risks; Lack of Safeguards



From BBC Radio 4

"A retired senior judge has warned the power of attorney lacks safeguards, saying he would never sign one himself".


MailOnline: "One in eight elderly people become victims of fraud when they let their family or friends control their cash, says top judge"


Which Guide, Setting up Lasting Power of Attorney


Make, register or end a lasting power of attorney, gov.uk


Even loving families can turn on each other: Elderly people’s finances need better protection than the power of attorney system provides, Jenni Russell, The Times, August 17, 2017:

"I have just signed the papers that give me power of attorney over an elderly relative’s money, should they reach the point where they cannot manage it themselves. I thought I was being responsible and protective. Now I discover that my relative may have unwittingly granted me the licence to steal their assets without much chance of being detected or stopped".



No comments:

Post a Comment