Wednesday 22 May 2013

Our Family Cars (A Short Illustrated Survey)



Memory Test, and a Memo to Myself

At my request, my brother has reminded me of some of the cars that we had in the family in years gone by:

My father changed his car every year but he usually chose a Ford Zephyr Convertible.

My mother had a Standard Eight, followed by an Austin A30, a Ford Anglia, and a Triumph Spitfire, Mk 1. She had an Austin Allegro for some time, followed by an Austin Metro, a Vauxhall Estate and finally a Suzuki Alto as a little local runaround. Her favourite was the Triumph Spitfire.

My grandmother had a 1.5 litre Riley, followed by a Triumph Herald Saloon, and, finally, a white Estate Herald.  

Plus a few family car photos from the more distant past (before I was born).


See also: On my own cars, and car songs





ca 1951







July 1960
Austin 7, 1934 model, cable brakes, 
800cc side valve engine. 
My brother bought it for £9.50




My brother


Teenage Poseur: not quite Elvis in Hawaii!


My brother's Austin Mini





Roy with Speedy, en route, Switzerland/Italy

Pipe and Pullover...

On the road, early sixties, with Mike and Speedy


Roy and Mary,  MGB, 1973





















Can anyone identify this car?



My brother can remember three cars from our Bristol days:
A Ford V8 Pilot- they were built to use up a stock of war surplus engines.
My father also had a Hillman Shooting /Van type Estate car- "quite modest"-
( Roy remembers travelling in that, "as we were hit from behind,
at the roundabout, near the Downs").
My father also had a very nice Rover (quick wind-up driver window).
My brother also recalls an Armstrong Sidelley Sapphire, with fluid flywheel.


Before my time:
Uncle H's car, below:

Ken and Nina, 1937:


Nina with her Grandfather, 1920's:

No comments:

Post a Comment