Monday 28 January 2013

John Lee Hooker, Flamingo Club, London, July 3, 1964


From a review I wrote in July, 1964:

"John Lee wandered on- a short sinewy man who is almost fifty years old...He sang up-temp blues, then he told us he was going "to sing a little song that the soul brothers sing down in Soulsville, 'mongst all the wailing and the moaning". It was a slow, beautiful country blues of intense anguish. He made every member of the audience feel like his soul brother.

He sang 'My First Wife Left Me', 'The Hobo' and 'Boogie Chillun'. 'Dimples' and 'I'm Leavin''' he featured in both sessions. I could not help visualising him as a redemptive saint, baptizing us in the Blues. This was as much a 'religious' as a musical experience for me...the deepest musical experience of my life."

Flamingo Club, London, 3 July, 1964

In Hamburg, Let's make it, baby, 1962

Shake it Baby, Hamburg 1962

The night time is the right time, Hamburg 1962

The Hobo

It's my own fault - John Lee Hooker, 1960, with Muddy's band

See also,  Jimi Hendrix at the Marquee Club, 1967

Son House at the 100 Club, 1970

Howlin' Wolf, 1964 (American Folk Blues Festival)

No comments:

Post a Comment