Wednesday 5 December 2012

A Chinese, American or Dorset Christmas? Ferlinghetti's Christmas Poem



Here is Lawrence Ferlinghetti reading his Christmas poem, published in "A Coney Island of the Mind" (first UK edition, 1959).

It's one of those poems that has stayed with me since I bought my first books by the beat poets round about then. Here is another reading of the poem, found on YouTube.

Literary globalisation? I've never been against globalisation as such. I made my pilgrimage to City Lights bookstore in San Francisco.

At this time of the year it can get to seem a step too far, when the local (ie Dorset, UK) environmentally-friendly garden centre devotes a large amount of space to a highly commercial Christmas grotto and award-winning display of (mostly imported from China) Christmas decorations and seasonal novelties. I am not sure of the environmental impact or the "greenness" of such undoubtedly popular displays. The number of cars parked around the square is evidence of a high level of  impact. I don't see so much activity around "The Quiet Space".

Good for the local economy in a time of prolonged austerity (wait for the UK Mini-Budget in the Chancellor's Autumn Statement later today). Even better for the Chinese economy?

Which is perhaps part of the reason why the Ferlinghetti poem still has so much resonance and relevance.

Every year I read it again, along with several Christmas poems by William Barnes. That's my idea of a traditional Dorset Christmas.

Not forgetting a few very "traditional" Elvis songs like "Blue Christmas" and "Santa Claus is Back in Town"!

Maybe I'll have a very American Christmas in the States this year. The Ferlinghetti poem may seem even more relevant there.



No comments:

Post a Comment