Tuesday 17 January 2012

On Caps, Cups and Badges






Still sorting out boxes of old photographs in an attempt to make more space. I came across the top two photographs, which I'd never seen before. My grandmother had kept them them, they're photos of a cup I was awarded at the age of seven, at the XIV School in Bristol. The cup was given for the "Best All-Rounder", I must have been proud, because I still remember the sense of achievement.

Not many years later, at around the age of twelve, I won my First Eleven Cricket Colours, a cap with a dolphin badge, at my school in Somerset. Again I felt proud: like a little hero for a day.

Educationists are divided about the encouragement of competition and achievement. The giving of stars, colours and badges, let alone the ranking of children in 'form orders', can have a negative effect on other children, it is sometimes argued.

It seems we are stuck with examinations, with honours, gongs, medals and other badges of achievement (ie in the Boy Scouts). In this year of the London Olympics there will be endless discussion of gold, silver and bronze medals.

We would all do well to remember our failures as well as our successes. I haven't kept any photos of the failures. Have you?

5 comments:

  1. I'm an old boy from XIV Bristol, living in Dorset. Saw the photo of the cricketers and wondered if you can name the boys in it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cricketers were not at XIV, but at a Somerset school after I had moved from Bristol.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there's much chance we overlapped, or that you recognise anyone in the picture. I moved from Bristol, and the school, many years before you went there. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am based in dorset as well,and have sailed around the greek islands,have also been on a cricket tour to corfu and played on that concrete strip in the middle of town.I believe they have moved to near the marina. the headmasters at my time were walker and stevenson, there was lawson,mr cork. major dyas were teachers do they ring any bells,or were you there early fifties. ian

      Delete
  4. Sorry, no bells ringing. I left XIV in the very early 50s.

    ReplyDelete