Friday 15 July 2011

Ronnie Self, Raw Rockabilly; Last recordings of Ronnie Self and Gene Vincent


Ronnie Self (1938-1981), one of my favourite rockabilly artists.

Pretty Bad Blues

Big Fool

High on Life

Some live recordings  

Ronnie Self wrote several classics for Brenda Lee. Gene Vincent recorded High On Life

In the sleevenotes (CD below) Colin Escott writes of Ronnie's wild and self-destructive behaviour.

For me, his most moving recording (written by Wayne Carson Thompson) is a sad but stoically self-reproachful country song called "The Road Keeps Winding".

This is my own very rough rehearsal version from a Sun Studio (Memphis) session.



Jack Scott version

Jack Scott, Burning Bridges

Ronnie Self and Sons: Waitin' for my gin to hit me

(As good as any of Bob Dylan's Basement Tape recordings)

Recorded June 1981. Ronnie Self died on 28 August 1981. Very sad.

I can't make out all of Ronnie's lyrics, but here's an attempt (please correct):

"Sitting on the floor Indian style,
Waiting for my gin to hit me;
Momma sayin' prayers for her bad child,
Waiting for my gin to hit me.

Well here it comes, just like I knew it would
 - A warm feelin' that makes me feel good;
Laying on my back, no pillow for my head,
Waitin' for my gin to hit me.

Well I can't sleep 'till I'm half dead,
'Cos I'm waiting for my gin to hit me.

I said, "Don't bury me until I'm dead",
'Cos I'm waiting for my gin to hit me.

I can't sleep until I'm half blind,
'Cos I'm waiting for my gin to hit me.

Hurtin' like this is a slow way of dyin',
I'm waitin' for my gin to hit me.

I said, "Don't bury me until I'm dead",
'Cos I'm waiting for my gin to hit me".







No comments:

Post a Comment