Thursday 3 September 2009

Shakespeare's Sonnets, 400th Anniversary of First Publication

Shakespeare hasn't been much on my mind this summer. I don't take his Collected Works to the beach.

I have just received an invitation to an event in London, to mark the 400th anniversary of the First Quarto edition of Shakespeare's sonnets. There is to be a musical rendering of the sonnets, as translated into Czech, performed by an old friend from Prague, a former professor of English at Charles University.

I would love to go, but one misses a lot of cultural events, living on Corfu.

Still, 400 years is a long time, and the sonnets are still as fresh as ever. Why not take them to the beach, and then tell me which your favourite sonnet is? Or I could make 154 separate posts....

Try sonnets 18, 116 and 129 for starters.

No comments:

Post a Comment