Tuesday 1 September 2009

NEUROMANTICS, CD, RAUL SCACCHI


"NEUROMANTICS" CD, 2009

Music by Raul Scacchi



Songs: "EVE", "EURYDICE", "NARCISSUS", "LYSISTRATA", "TERESA", "Mme MARCHADIER", "ELVIRA", "MAN FRIDAY", "MARIA"



INTRODUCTION BY JIM POTTS AND RAUL SCACCHI:

“Neuromantics” (or “neuro-mantics”) is an exploration of love in all its diversity and contradictions: devotion, ecstasy, rapture, friendship, desire, blind love, vanity, narcissism, erotic and neurotic obsession, addictions.

These were some of the words, feelings and ideas we played with while we were focusing on characters, some historical or mythological, who would represent different aspects of love.

It was a philosophical and psychological investigation about people's basic needs, their dreams of escape, of excitement and romance, but also about the love of nature, the love of country, the spiritual love of God, the love of a mother for a child, self-love, even murderous love.

Technically, the collaboration was challenging. An Italian composer, an English lyricist, a Greek singer: we all had very different backgrounds and musical tastes, but Corfu provided us with the opportunity to get together and to create a work which we hope is new and original, and more romantic than neurotic. That is for the listener to judge.


Eurydice:

I like the way that you smile
When you smile at me
But it's going to be
A long long time
Far away from each other.

You look at me- it makes me die.
Could it mean good-bye?
What can I do, I'm not the strong kind.
I can wait for you all my life
And I will think of you all the time
Just to see you through.....


1 comment: